I’ve been vegan for 6 days now, and I honestly thought it would be harder than this. Foods like this soup with some veganized Jalapeno Pale Ale Cornbread are what’s keeping me going. I got this recipe from one of my favorite vegan blogs, Vegan Yack Attack, and damn is it delicious.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
By February 3, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 quarts or 16 cups (6 servings Servings)
- Prep: 15 minutes mins
- Cook: 1 hour to 3 hours min
- Ready In: 16 mins
This soup is chocked full of vitamin A, and it has an absolutely wonderful flavor that makes the whole house smell good. My Jalapeno Pale Ale Cornbread recipe is a great pairing for this recipe.
- 4 chopped shallots
- 2 large chopped carrots
- 3 large chopped sweet potatoes
- 5 whole garlic cloves
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 taspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place the red onion, carrots, sweet potatoes and garlic into the large bowl and drizzle the olive oil over the top. Add the smoked sea salt and black pepper to the bowl and stir until all pieces are evenly coated.
- Spread the veggie mixture out into a single layer on the baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Warm the vegetable broth and water in a large pot on the stove, over medium heat. Carefully add the roasted vegetables to the broth mixture and bring to a boil. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste, if necessary. Cover and simmer over low-medium heat for 5 minutes to 2 hours. The time just depends on how much you want the flavors to really seep into everything. I let mine simmer for about 2.5 hours, just because I kept getting distracted.
- Completely puree the soup in a food processor in small batches and return to pot on low heat to keep warm until dinner. Enjoy.
- Skill Level: Moderate
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress