By February 10, 2013Published:
- Yield: 7 cupcakes (7 Servings)
- Prep: 10 minutes mins
- Cook: 20 minutes mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
Vegan Valentines Day cupcakes. Recipe adopted from Martha Stewart.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid stevia (or another 1/2 cup sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (dutch-processed)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk (I used almond milk)
- 1.5 vegan egg substitute (I used flax seed meal)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 ounces vegan cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. To make vegan buttermilk- in a bowl combine 6 tablespoons milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (except cocoa powder) and set aside. In another bowl, combine cocoa and 3 tablespoons hot water to make a thick paste. Add butter, milk, "eggs," and liquid stevia and mix until smooth. Mix in the flour mixture until incorporated.
- Spoon batter into prepared tines and bake for 20 minutes.
- To make icing simply combine powdered sugar and softened cream cheese, adding whatever food coloring you would like, and whisk until thick but smooth. Drop a dollop onto each cooled cupcake and garnish with whatever you'd like. Enjoy and Happy Valentines Day to all my single ladies!
- Skill Level: Moderate
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress